Denomination: Soto (曹洞宗)
Main Image: Dainichi Nyorai (大日如来)
Location: Minami Izu-cho, Kamo District (賀茂郡南伊豆町)
The exact date of Shozenji’s inception is unknown however records show that its original name was 詳善寺(しょうぜんじ) and was a Shingon denomination temple. Sometime between 1624 and 1644 it was converted to its present denomination of Soto.
The Dainichi Nyorai which was built by a famous local sculptor and serves as Shozenji’s main image has been recognized by Shizuoka Prefecture as an important cultural asset.