Denomination: Soto (曹洞宗)
Main Image: Yakushi Nyorai (薬師如来)
Location: Mitsukuri, Shimoda (下田市箕作)
While on his way from Joju-in in Kamakura to Hozo-in, number 81 on the pilgrimage, a
senior Shingon priest discovered the area and declared it sacred ground. In March of 1326, Hojo-in was established with a Kannon image from Joju-in as its main image.
For many years the temple remained without a head priest however sometime during the period of 1804-1817 the main hall was rebuilt and was converted to the Rinzai