Denomination: Rinzai (臨済宗)
Main Image: Juichimen (11-faced) Kanzeon Bosatsu (十一面観世音菩薩)
Location: Sakuragi-cho, Atami (熱海市桜木町)
Founded originally in 1341, at the beginning of the Nanboku-cho Period, Kozenji was
restored in sometime between 1624 and 1644.
Until recently, on the left side of the temple grounds stood an enourmous osmanthus
tree, known also as fragrant olive, which when in bloom acted as a lighthouse for ships off the coast of Atami as its strong fragrance would waft far out to sea.