Denomination: Soto (曹洞宗)
Main Image: Amida Nyorai (阿弥陀如来)
Location: Kawazu-cho, Kamo District (賀茂郡河津町川津筏場)
It is believed that Sanyo-in was established originally as Senju-in, sometime before
the year 1511 in the Muromachi Period.
Later in its history, Toyotomi Hideyoshi, known as one of Japan’s great unifiers,
after conquering Odawara Castle, set his sights on Shimoda Castle (where present day Shimoda Park is located). However no battle ensued as the ruling lord of Shimoda castle surrendered before any blood was shed, and with his wife and son took refuge at Senju-in were they were left in peace, thereby leading to the change in the name of the temple to Sanyo-in.